From 1 January 2018, directors of centres cannot enrol a child unless the parent/guardian has provided an approved immunisation form that shows that the child:
• is fully immunised for their age, or
• has a medical reason not to be vaccinated, or
• is on a recognised catch-up schedule if the child has fallen behind with their immunisations.
Children who have not been immunised due to their parent’s vaccine conscientious objection cannot be enrolled in childcare.
These changes to the Public Health Act 2010 will remind parents about the importance of timely vaccination and help to reduce the risk of children contracting potentially deadly diseases such as whooping cough and meningococcal disease.
To support compliance:
• an Immunisation Enrolment Toolkit for Early Childhood Education and Care Services has been finalised and is available on the NSW Health website atwww.health.nsw.gov.au/immunisation/Pages/immunisation-enrolment-toolkit.aspx. Copies will be distributed to all ECECS in NSW in the coming weeks
• the Childcare and Pre-school Entry and Immunisation brochure for parents has been updated and is available at www.health.nsw.gov.au/immunisation/Pages/parent-childcare-brochure.aspx. 10 copies of the brochure will be included with each Toolkit sent to ECECS and the brochure is being translated into 26 community languages
• an updated Immunisation Register Template (along with detailed Questions and Answers) is available at www.health.nsw.gov.au/immunisation/Pages/vaccination_enrolment.aspx