In late December the Fair Work Commission approved two new enterprise agreements that will apply to teaching staff in nearly 50 NSW Christian schools.
The agreements were voted on by teachers in mid 2018 but were only approved by the Fair Work Commission on 21 December 2018.
The agreements provide for pay increases as follows:
- a 2.3% salary increase backdated to the first full pay period on or after 1 February 2018 (Bands 1 and 2) and 2.5% (Band 3) (generally already paid by schools)
- a 2.5% from the first full pay period on or after 1 February 2019, and
- a 2.5% from the first full pay period on or after 1 February 2020.
The agreements also provide for a new system of personal carer’s leave to be implemented from 2019 which will benefit teachers. The new scheme includes:
- 15 days per year entitlement (full time) accruing progressively over each year of service which accumulates indefinitely
- retention of current accumulated leave balances for existing staff
- five bonus days leave for (full time) staff on the commencement of the scheme to assist with the transition to the new accrual arrangements
- the ability of staff in their first year of service to request personal leave in advance for absences due to illness or injury up to the entitlement of 15 days – such a request cannot be unreasonably denied, and
- removal of existing limitations to carer’s leave to enable members to access any current and accrued leave for this purpose.
To see the agreements in full: