NSW Dear Lisa

I am currently working on a temporary contract. I have been offered a new contract extending my employment as a teacher at the same centre. I thought I would not be working so I booked a holiday at the end of my current contract. Should I cancel my holiday (I will not be able to get a refund on the airfare) or ask to have the new contract commence after my holiday as I don’t have enough leave to cover it?


Dear Danielle,

If you do not have enough annual leave to cover your holiday you could request leave without pay if you do not want to delay the start date for your new contract. I advise that you tell your employer that you have booked a holiday and ask if they will allow you to take leave without pay and if not, request that your new contract commences after you return from your holiday.