From 1 August this year, all Victorian schools will need to meet a number of child safe standards. There are 12 minimum standards that must be complied with by schools. Included in the standards are:
• a child safety policy or a statement of commitment to child safety
• a child safety code of conduct for staff
• staff selection, supervision and management practices for a child-safe environment
• principles of inclusion, taking into account the diversity of all children in implementing the standards
• procedures for responding to and reporting allegations of suspected child abuse
• strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse, including at least annually the school authority must ensure that appropriate guidance and training is provided to the individual members of the staff and the governing authority, and
• strategies to promote child empowerment and participation.